Controversy trails arrest of Kumba school massacre ‘suspect’
The October 24 massacre in Kumba, Cameroon has been and remains a bitter pill to swallow.
The government has since the incident been unable to clearly trace the happenings of that fateful day and bring to book those responsible.
Its moves to cover up the mess have however left much more exposed, leaving possible hints on its supposed role in the massacre.
A civilian is currently detained in Kumba, accused by the Senior Divisional Officer for Meme of being one of the perpetrators of the act.
Videos and images on social media show the suspect, Ngwa Neba bruised and bleeding from torture netted on him by security forces.
While the SDO maintains that he was responsible for the massacre, locals who knew Ngwa Neba aka Commandant Zabra say he is simply the scapegoat for the administrator’s publicity campaign.
“Commandant Zabra is a popular thief in Kosala. He collected 50,000 FCFA last weekend from someone. Out of frustration from constant harassment, yesterday the pros saw him around the Kumba I DO’s office and immediately attacked him” a local is quoted as saying.
The report adds that they fought for some time, drawing the attention of the Fiango police elements who are not very far from the area.
“The first police officer who got to the scene tried to separate the two guys fighting but he was beaten by Zabra … Finally, he (Zabra) was apprehended” the source is quoted saying.
The eyewitness’s account adds that “Just when he was being taken to the Fiango police station, some elements of the BIR were passing by. They got involved and started beating him in front of the Fiango Police station. Later he was taken to the DO’s office.”
Authorities later noted that he had confessed to having played a role in the massacre of seven school children on October 24, an account many have challenges given the condition under which he was said to have confessed.
While some dey Zabra’s role as a separatist fighter, others say he was a separatist fighter but was not a leader as authorities claim.
This has once more raised doubts on the alleged role played by the SDO for Meme, Chamberlain Ntou’ou Ndong, and other administrative officials. Shortly after the massacre, they had been accused by separatists of plotting the massacre. This, they said, was a means to coerce private institutions of learning to pay for the security of their premises.
This, coupled with the prolonged detention of the massacre school officials, leaves the administrators in the mix and Cameroonians more confused.
YAOUNDÉ - Cameroon this week deployed an additional 300 troops to Bui, a northwestern administrative unit that the… https://t.co/pESb7NMuETFollow